News from Tennessee


May 8, 2008


Greetings from Hampton, Tennessee!

Here is a view from the bike portion of a long but excellent bike-hike on which I circumnavigated Laurel Fork Creek (bike along dirt roads on the north rim, hike along the south rim of its watershed). 

In the front, a Christmas tree farm - they grow Fraser Firs of which the seeds are harvested under supervision of the USFS on a nearby mountain top. In the distance, the Roan massif where I will be going next - the western rim of the Blue Ridge rising up into the 5000-foot plus range.

Where I've been lately is "only" 3-4000 feet, and the trees are just leafing out about half way up the mountains. Today I ran into another couple who I had spent some time with last year camping on Rainbow Lake in the 100-Mile Wilderness of Maine! What a small world the AT is.

No comments: